Terms & Conditions
Please read our terms and conditions carefully before completing your sign up form and entry form.
Who is this competition for?
* Children and young people aged up to 25 years old
* Living anywhere on planet Earth
* Entrants will belong to one of three age groups: Primary (up to 11), Secondary (11-18), and 18-25
Who can enter?
* Entries may be created by organisations or individuals
* The contact person for the entry must be an adult aged 18 or over
* Sign up and Entry forms must be submitted by an adult aged 18 or over representing the filmmaker/s
* Entries must be created by young people. Adults can advise, but young people must fulfil all main roles (e.g. Director, Lead Actor / Actress, Editor)
* If any of the cast in your entry are not in your age group you will not be eligible for the Best Cast award
How to enter?
* If you are considering entering the competition you or an adult aged 18 or over representing you need to complete our online Sign Up Form
* Entrants must fill in our online Entry Form to accompany your entry submission
* You must submit your final film or animation entry to us via We Transfer to (files need to be under 2GB in size to use this free service)
* The competition launched on Monday 9th January 2017
* The deadline to submit your entry by is Friday 28th April 2017 at 6:00pm GMT (UK time)
* Entries submitted after this time will not be considered
How long should the film be?
* Total running time for entries must be no longer that 90 seconds including credits
* We like to see credits on your entry, however they are not required if you don’t want to add them
* If you do add credits we advise young people under the age of 18 to only include first names (no last names)
* You must add our end plate graphic to the end of your film or animation, after your credits (if you include credits). We ask that you hold it on screen for 3 seconds. This will not be counted as part of your allocated 90 seconds. So your entry can run to 93 seconds or less in total with this graphic included. You can download the end plate from our Tool Kit page.
* Ideally your entry will be HD (1920 x 1080) and in a high quality format like an mp4 or .mov file with H.264 codec. If you don’t understand this technical stuff look on our FAQ’s page, if you’re still having trouble you can Contact Us
* Do not use templates e.g. iMovie Trailer
* Entries submitted must be U/PG rated according to the BBFC http://www.bbfc.co.uk/what-classification/guidelines
* Films and animations must be new and original – created specifically for this year’s competition
* Entries must have an original title – NOT be called A Sense of Hope or Hope
* You must have permission from the copyright owner for any music used in your entry. Please refer to the Tool Kit for links to royalty free music, alternatively we encourage you to create your own original music, which must be created by a young person. No covers or sound alikes of existing songs are allowed unless they are out of copyright.
* Ideally recognisable brands or logos should not be featured in your entry – you will not be disqualified but you may be marked down
* Non English language entries should be subtitled in English
* The adult aged 18 or over representing your entry must ensure that contributors appearing in the film or animation (including for voice overs) sign a release form. These are available for download and use from the Tool Kit or you can use your own.
* Release forms must be presented to us if requested
* By submitting your entry and Entry Form to the competition, you grant to Elstree Film Design Ltd., from the date of submission of your entry a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, sub-licencable right and licence to:
1. Use, host, reproduce, edit, publish, distribute, transmit and make use of the content or parts of it in any media including television, online and in print
2. Use any trademarks, service marks or trade names (e.g. brand names, logos) incorporated in the entry
* In addition, you agree to waive all so-called “moral rights” to the Content. (This is so we can, for example, showcase excerpts of your entry alongside excerpts of other filmmakers’ entries for promotions at a later date.)
You represent, warrant and agree that:
1. You are the owner of all the rights in the entry
2. You are entitled to grant to Elstree Film Design Ltd. the rights set out in the above licence
3. You have not entered into any agreement or arrangement that could conflict with your obligations to Elstree Film Design Ltd. under these terms and conditions
* You hereby indemnify Elstree Film Design Ltd. against any claims arising out of or in connection with any entry’s content, including but not limited to a claim arising out of or in connection with a breach of any of the warranties set out above
* Elstree Film Design Ltd. cannot take responsibility for any loss or damage to your entry, so you will be sending your materials at your own risk
* Elstree Film Design will review the entries to ensure they meet our terms and conditions, all eligible entries will be shortlisted
* The shortlisted entries will be reviewed and scored by our judges
* Elstree Film Design will tally the judges scores to calculate the results across the categories and three age groups: Primary (up to 11), Secondary (11-18), and 18-25
* This will result in a total of 45 winning entries (15 for each age group)
* The results will be announced and all entrants will be notified on Monday 3rd July 2017
* Winners, finalists, and anyone who took part and met with our terms and conditions will be sent the relevant digital award certificate
* Winners and finalists entries will be published online
* Prizes are non-transferable and non-negotiable. Elstree Film Design Ltd. reserves the right to substitute the prize for another prize of equal value
* Winners will receive a ‘Winner’ digital award certificate
* Finalists will receive a ‘Finalist’ digital award certificate
* All other shortlisted entrants who meet our terms and conditions will receive an ‘I took part in’ digital award certificate
* Winners and finalists entries will be premiered online, therefore do not upload your entries online yourselves
* By entering the competition, you agree to be named in the media and to participate in as many promotional and press activities including media interviews and photo opportunities
* No personal data will be shared with 3rd parties unless otherwise stated. We may share the winners of the Best Actor and Actress awards with our sponsor Spotlight in the event that they will be issuing memberships as prizes.
* Travel and expenses are not included unless otherwise stated
* The judges’ decisions in all matters are final and no correspondence will be entered into
* These terms and conditions shall be governed by and in accordance with the laws of England and each party submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts